shortcut
Mayfield Jr./Sr. High School

Jon Peterson

Superintendent

27 School Street

Mayfield, NY 12117

518.661.8222

 

Jr/Sr High School

518.661.8222

 

Elementary School

518.661.8222

leaf bullet NYS releases testing information on ELA and math tests taken in April

 

 

August 22, 2017

Today, the state Education Department released the results of the state tests in English Language Arts and mathematics that Mayfield students in grades 3-8 took in April and May.

By and large, the results showed little movement in Mayfield's rates compared with the results from 2016. Mayfield's scores were below the statewide average in all categories.

Because the 2016 and 2017 tests were very similar, except for the introduction of computer-based testing for moe than 28,000 students this year, the state said the two years could be compared.

For example, on the state's ELA test in the spring, 10 percent of students scored in Level 4 and 21 percent scored in Level 3. Students scoring in Levels 3 and 4 (a combined 31 percent) are considered proficient in the subject. However, 39 percent of students scored in Level 2 and 30 percent scored in Level 1 (a combined 69 percent). Scoring in those two levels indicates a child is struggling in their studies.

In 2016, 9 percent of students scored in Level 4 and 23 percent scored in Level 3 (a combined 32 percent) while 35 percent scored in Level 2 and 32 percent scored in Level 1 (a combined 67 percent). Numbers are rounded.

Statewide, 13 percent of students scored in Level 4 and 27 percent scored in Level 3 (a combined 40 percent) while 34 percent scored in Level 2 and 26 percent scored in Level 1 (a combined 60 percent). Numbers are rounded.

On the mathematics test in the spring, 15 percent of students scored in Level 4 and 26 percent scored in Level 3. Students scoring in Levels 3 and 4 (a combined 41 percent) are considered proficient in the subject. Meanwhile, 33 percent of students scored in Level 2 and 26 percent scored in Level 1 (a combined 59 percent). Scoring in those two levels indicates a child is struggling in their studies. Numbers are rounded.

In 2016, 17 percent of students scored in Level 4 and 27 percent scored in Level 3 (a combined 44 percent) while 32 percent scored in Level 2 and 24 percent scored in Level 1 (a combined 56 percent). Numbers are rounded.

Statewide, 18 percent of students scored in Level 4 and 23 percent scored in Level 3 (a combined 41 percent) while 29 percent scored in Level 2 and 31 percent scored in Level 1 (a combined 60 percent). Numbers are rounded.

Read more about Mayfield's scores here - https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000051650

Here is the state's presentation about the test scores (PDF).

In releasing the scores, the state stressed that they should not be compared with previous years' scores because of several changes that were made to the tests this year: starting with a new test vendor with a contract that required greater teacher involvement; reducing the number of questions on every grade 3-8 ELA and math assessments; and allowing students who are productively working to complete their exams.

The state said that results across the state were little changed from the 2016 rates. Statewide, 1.9 percent more students scored in Levels 3 and 4, showing proficiency, on the ELA exam and 1.1 percent more students scored in Levels 3 and 4 on the mathematics exam.

Mayfield's results

The state exams taken by students in grades 3-8 are scored on four levels, with level 4 being the highest level of proficiency and level 1 indicating that the student has scored below proficient levels:

Level 4 scores mean that students "excel in the state standards" for that grade level.

Level 3 means that students are "proficient in the state standards" for that grade level.

Level 2 scores mean that students are "not proficient in the state standards" for that grade level (partial but insufficient)

Level 1 scores mean that students are "well below proficient in the state standards" for that grade level.

Here are the grade-level results on the exams at Mayfield. The figures show the percentage of students scoring in that level. The figures in bold are the 2017 figures; the figures in (parenthesis) are the 2016 percentages:

EXAM            # OF STUDENTS           LEVEL 1            LEVEL 2            LEVEL 3            LEVEL 4         MEAN SCORE

Grade 3 ELA         63                            29% (31%)        41%  (31%)       29% (31%)       2%  (8%)         302 (305)
Grade 3 Math        60                            23% (27%)        22%  (27%)       33% (31%)       22% (16%)      309 (306)
Grade 4 ELA         55                            44% (20%)        38%  (48%)       11% (23%)       7% (8%)          292 (306)
Grade 4 Math        52                            29% (16%)        37%  (28%)       19% (31%)       15% (25%)      303 (318)
Grade 5 ELA         72                            38% (44%)        35%  (28%)       19% (23%)       8% (5%)          297 (289)
Grade 5 Math        67                            18% (33%)        27%  (30%)       34% (30%)       21% (8%)        317 (308)
Grade 6 ELA         69                            29% (30%)        45%  (40%)       13% (22%)       13% (8%)        295 (295)
Grade 6 Math        70                            24% (18%)        36%  (33%)       21% (22%)       19% (27%)      309 (312)
Grade 7 ELA         57                            23% (39%)        39%  (30%)       26% (19%)       12% (13%)      306 (300)
Grade 7 Math        48                            42% (27%)        31%  (33%)       23% (25%)       4% (15%)        298 (312)
Grade 8 ELA         46                            17% (28%)        33%  (31%)       33% (22%)       17% (19%)      312 (305)
Grade 8 Math        26                            27% (23%)        58%  (50%)       15% (23%)       0% (4%)          298 (309)

The mean scores indicate that half of the students scored above that figure and half scored below. The maximum scores on the ELA exams vary by grade, ranging from a maximum score of 419 on the grade 6 exam to a 395 on the grade 8 exam. On the mathematics exam, the highest top scores would range from 416 on the grade 5 exam to 401 on the grade 3 exam.

Test results don't include everybody

According to the state, Mayfield's test refusal rate was 16.5 percent in April, marking the third year in a row of declining number of students opting out of taking the exams. In 2016, the figure was 18 percent and it was 34 percent in 2015.

Test refusals make it difficult for school administrators to fully understand the health of the curriculum and whether it is adequately preparing students for success.

The state tests are also part of the equation used by schools to determine which students need extra help. However,  teachers are aware of how their students are performing based on grades and other testing throughout the year. They will refer students for extra help, whether or not they participate in the state tests.