In regards to bilingual education and world languages, Mayfield Central School District is committed to the following:
- Communication in each parent’s preferred language and mode of communication; provide social-emotional learning supports to ELLs in their home language
- Instructional units should be provided based on most recently measured English language proficiency; Adopt progress monitoring tools to measure ELL proficiency
- PD for teachers on supporting ELLs and addressing learning gaps
- Align policies to the Blueprint for ELL/MLL Success
- Ensure coordination content and ENL/BE teachers
- Continue utilizing technology in ELL instruction
- Support SIFE and other vulnerable populations
- Ensure EMLL Profile supports early learning
- Support completion of the NYS Seal of Biliteracy.
Mayfield CSD identifies qualifying English Language Learners during the registration process through the Home Language Survey.
The district will follow state reopening guidelines which specify ELL identification process within 30 school days of the start of the year who enrolled during school closure in 2019-2020, as well as students who enrolled during the summer of 2020 and during the first 20 school days of the 2020-2021 school year.
Mayfield CSD will offer the required instructional Units of Study to all ELL students based on their level of language proficiency. Regular and consistent communication with parents/guardians will be maintained via emails, phone calls, remote platforms, updated school webpage, etc.