Individualized Education Plans

The Committees on Special Education and Pre-School Education must develop an Individual Education Plan (IEP) for all students who are eligible for special education services. In developing the IEP, the committee considers evaluations, student strengths, concerns of the parent and, where appropriate, student performance on state and district assessments.

An IEP documents the following: present level of performance; how the student’s disability impacts his/her participation in the general curriculum; classification of the disability; annual goals; recommended programs and services; whether or not the student will participate in state or alternate assessments; a list of any alternative accommodations; a list of any assistive technology devices; and transitional goals at the appropriate time.

  • How Does the Process Work?
    The Mayfield Central School District has an obligation to evaluate, with parental consent, and offer to students determined to be disabled who reside in the District, a free and appropriate public education. 
    Click here for a flowchart of the process. 

  • What should you do if you feel your child needs special education?
    If your school-age child is having difficulties in school, first talk to his or her teacher. There are many supports for students within regular education such as psychological services, speech and language improvement services, Occupational Therapy services, curriculum and instructional modifications and Academic Intervention Services. Each school has a Team that can develop a plan for the child utilizing the supports mentioned above and others. If you, the teacher and principal have not been able to help your child, your child may have a disability that affects his or her learning. To find out, a referral to the Committee on Special Education (CSE) can be made.

  • What is a referral for special education?
    A referral is a written statement asking that the Mayfield Central School District to evaluate a child to determine if a student is eligible to receive special education services. This written statement is addressed to the chairperson or school principal. In some cases, the parent may want to meet with the principal before agreeing to test the child to discuss other ways to assist your child.

  • Who can make a referral for special education?
    Your child’s teacher or a professional in your child’s school may make a referral to the Committee. You, the parent, can always make a referral for your child. Additional people who may make a referral include doctors, judicial officers (such as a family court judge or a probation officer) or a designated person in a public agency. In addition, someone may also make a referral from an Early Childhood Direction Center, an approved preschool program, or an Early Intervention Program that serves your child from birth to age three. A student over 18 and younger than 21 who is an emancipated minor may refer him/herself.

Additional Links