*SPECIAL NOTICE: Because of the ongoing COVID-19 public health crisis and consistent with guidance around pubic safety and social distancing, Board of Education meetings will be held remotely until further notice. All public comment questions must be submitted in advance of the meetings to the District Clerk Debra Javarone at email@example.com
Board meetings can be accessed using the following information:
Public Hearing: June 2, 2020 at 7:00 PM
JOIN WEBEX MEETING: TBA
Meeting number (access code):
Meeting password: Welcome
JOIN BY PHONE: +1-646-992-2010 Access code: 710 900 468
Annual District Budget Vote and Board Elections
The vote on the 2020-2021 Mayfield School District budget, proposition and Board of Education members will take place on Tuesday, June 9, 2020, exclusively by absentee ballot.
Absentee Ballots have been mailed. Return completed ballot by U.S. Mail, so that it is received by the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 9, 2020, the day of the vote.
The Public/Budget Hearing will take place at 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 2, 2020 via WebEx. Login information will be provided.
Qualified voters will receive an absentee ballot in the mail from the District shortly. A qualified voter is someone who is a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, a resident of the District for at least 30 days prior to the vote. All qualified voters that are on the District’s most recent year’s poll lists will automatically be sent an absentee ballot. Please click here to see if you are on our current polling list. If you believe you are eligible, but did not receive an absentee ballot, please contact the District Clerk, Debra Javarone, by email at Javarone.firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to ensure timely receipt of a ballot for the 2020 annual meeting/election.
If you are a qualified voter that is not registered, please contact the District Clerk at 518-661-8207 as soon as possible to schedule an appointment for registration.
Board of Education Members
Mayfield CSD has two vacant seats effective July 1, 2020:
- One seat is for school board member for a period of five (5) years from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2025 to succeed Aaron Flynn, whose term expires on June 30, 2020. The candidate running for this vacant seat is Aaron Flynn.
- The second seat is for school board member, for a period of one (1) year from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021, to succeed Jennifer Andrews who has resigned. The two (2) candidates running for this vacant seat are Tara Caraco and Michelle Moore.
- Click on their names for more information about each candidate.
When opening the BoardDocs page, click on “Meetings” at the top of the page then select a meeting you’d like to review. Click on “View the Agenda” and then on a specific item on the left of the page to see how the board acted.
Role of the School Board
The Mayfield Board of Education is made up of five non-paid citizens who are each elected to serve five-year terms. The board’s main responsibilities and duties are to:
- Establish district policies;
- Develop an annual budget for public approval;
- Approve or disapprove the Superintendent’s recommendations on personnel matters and contracts;
- Review courses of study and textbooks; and
- Act as a communication link between residents and the Superintendent.
Other duties include defining the district’s philosophy, setting goals to achieve academic objectives, planning for future needs, and authorizing certain contracts.
Running for a seat on the Board of Education
The New York State School Boards Association has created this webpage entitled The School Board Member Experience to answer questions from new and potential school board members. Check it out!