Because of the change in NYS Department of Health social distancing guidelines, Mayfield Central School District is expanding in-person attendance beginning Monday, May 10. With this change, all students in pre-kindergarten through grade eight who have been attending on a hybrid schedule will now attend in person five days per week.
Those students who have been fully remote will remain remote through the end of the year.
The updated guidance from the DOH has reduced the required social distance between students from 6 feet to 3 feet, and the MCSD leadership team has adjusted the district’s COVID-19 reopening plan to allow for more students to attend every day. Please note the following about those adjustments, which start Monday, May 10:
Arrival and dismissal times
- At the elementary school, blue group bus students will arrive at approximately 8:10 a.m. and will dismiss at approximately 2:45 p.m. Gold group bus students will arrive at approximately 8:45 a.m. and will be dismissed at 3:15 p.m. Please see below for the bus run schedules.
- Parent/guardian drop-off of students will begin at 8:15 a.m. and those students will be picked up at 3:05 p.m.
- At the junior-senior high school, all bus students will arrive at approximately 7:25 a.m. Students dropped off by car will still enter the building at 7:45 a.m.
Meals and snacks in school
- All students will have breakfast and lunch in the cafeteria. The 6 feet of social distancing required between students while eating has not changed.
- Snacks can be eaten in the classroom or outside, weather permitting, but a 6-foot distance must be maintained between students.
- Additional lunch tables will be added at both schools to accommodate the needed extra seats and the distancing requirements.
Because of social distancing restrictions for bus transportation, the district will continue to limit the number of riders per trip and has worked out a schedule for transporting elementary students in two trips in both the mornings and afternoons.
Students are being assigned to bus trips according to the group color they have been all year:
- All blue group students and those who were already attending 5 days will be on Trip 1 every day (morning and afternoon).
- All gold group students will be on Trip 2 every day (morning and afternoon).
Please note any gold group students with siblings currently attending 5 days (elementary only) will be assigned to Trip 1.
Morning bus runs
- Jr.-Sr. High School (grades 7-12) morning pick-up will begin at 6:40 a.m. with drop-off at 7:25 a.m.
- Elementary morning pick-up for Trip 1 students will begin at 7:30 a.m.
- Elementary drop-off for Trip 1 students will be at 8:10 a.m.
- Elementary morning pick-up for Trip 2 students will begin at 8:15 am
- Elementary drop-off for Trip 2 students will be at 8:45 a.m.
Afternoon bus runs
- Jr.-Sr. High School will dismiss at 2:00 p.m.
- Elementary Trip 1 will dismiss at 2:40 p.m.
- Elementary Trip 2 will dismiss at 3:25 p.m.
All the district’s current COVID-19 protocols will remain the same as they relate to management of ill persons, expectations of mask use, mask breaks, learning expectations, and health and safety.
With the CDC guidelines regarding keeping students in groups still in place, it is much more challenging to have students in grades 9 through 12 return five days per week, as many high school classes have students of mixed grade levels and groups.
The district will continue to strive to have all students return to full-time, in-person instruction as soon as possible.