The following message was sent by email to the Mayfield school community:
Dear members of the Mayfield Central School District community,
Today, Monday, December 7, 2020, Mayfield Central School District learned that a member of the Mayfield Junior-Senior High School community has tested positive for COVID-19.
Because of the cohort model we are using at MCS, we were able to quickly identify and notify students and employees who came into contact with this individual. This, however, has implications for students at all grade levels in the Junior/Senior High School building and influences the ability of several adults to be present in a classroom.
Therefore, we have made the decision to close the Junior/Senior High School to all students and transition to fully remote instruction effective immediately, Tuesday, December 8, and continue through the holiday recess. Students will return to their regular hybrid schedule on Monday, January 4, 2021.
During remote instruction:
- Students will follow their regular daily schedule via Google Meets.
- Students who have been participating in the hybrid learning model will have live classes online during the two days they would have attended school in person. They should follow their usual schedules on the other three days, checking into their Google Classrooms and Meets as required.
- Teachers will post links to these Google Meets in their Google Classrooms.
- Students enrolled in the 100% remote learning model will be expected to attend Google Meets as they have been.
- Attendance will be taken during all Google Meets.
- Teachers will maintain their daily office hours.
- Students who attend the Career & Technical Education Center or other programs at HFM BOCES may continue to attend those programs if BOCES remains open. Mayfield transportation will be provided as normal. Transportation to Adirondack Academy and off-campus special education programs will proceed as normal.
While participating in remote learning, families may pick up their school meals, which are free to all MCSD students. Food can be picked up Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays in the drop-off circle at the Elementary School from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
At this time, Mayfield Elementary will remain open for in-person instruction. We will continue to work closely with the Fulton County Department of Health and follow their guidance on how to maintain a safe and healthy learning environment. Please contact our district’s COVID-19 Coordinator Dr. Matthew Lewis, at email@example.com, if you would like more information about our health and safety procedures.
Christopher M. Harper
Superintendent of Schools