Dear Mayfield families and staff,
It is with profound sadness that I am writing to you to share the news that on Saturday, July 4, William Drake, one of our high school students, passed away as a result of a traffic accident. Billy was a beloved member of our school community, and we will miss him immensely.
Losing a child is an unspeakable tragedy, and the school district is mourning this loss alongside Billy’s family. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers during this terribly difficult time.
We wanted all parents to be aware of the situation so that you can discuss this with your children. The death of a young person can cause anxiety for everyone, but especially for students. If you feel that your child is struggling with this information, we encourage you to talk with them about it and help them work through their grief or concerns.
- Graham Pritchard: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joelle DiDomenico: email@example.com
- Stephany Deuel: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andrea Bovee: email@example.com
In addition, the following websites may help you better communicate with your child and others in this time of sadness:
- Helping Children Cope With Loss, Death, and Grief (Tips for Teachers and Parents, National Association of School Psychologists)
- Grieving as a Family: Finding Comfort Together (Sesame Workshop)
- Children And Grief (American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry)
As a school community, we are here to support students, families, and staff as we all struggle to process this tragedy.
Mr. Christopher Harper
Mayfield Superintendent of Schools