Mayfield senior Madison Relyea marked her commitment to run Division I cross country and track and field for the University of Connecticut with an official signing ceremony at the Junior-Senior High School on Thursday.
“Madison has been the very best example of what happens when you combine an athlete with tremendous natural ability and a work ethic that is unmatched,” MCSD Athletic Director Jon Caraco said. “Combine that with a dedication to academic achievement, and you find an athlete who is coveted by colleges across the Northeast and beyond.”
Academically, Relyea is a member of the National Honor Society with a 93.6 average and ranked 14th in her class. She has been a part of numerous New York State Public High School Athletic Association Scholar Athlete teams throughout her career.
Relyea has competed in cross country, Nordic ski and track and field throughout her high school career, winning individual league championships and competing at the state level in all three sports.
Her athletic accomplishments include:
- Five-time cross country individual league champion
- Two-time cross country sectional champion
- Two-time cross country state medalist
- Two-time Nordic ski sectional champion
- Won Nordic ski state championship in 2020 after finishing second in 2019
- Holds four track and field school records
- League champion in multiple track and field events
- Sectional champion and state medalist in the 1500-meter run