Welcome to the Mayfield Jr./Sr. High School Career and Counseling Center!
The vision of the Counseling Center is for students to possess the academic knowledge, skills, and self-awareness to be lifelong learners as well as empathetic and successful citizens. Throughout the school year students meet with their school counselor to discuss class scheduling, test scores, college admission procedures, career planning, social concerns, and academic needs. Students may stop in to speak with their school counselor between classes, during non-instructional time, or after school.
Your school counselors are available to help you not only survive, but thrive during high school. In addition to the many resources available in our office, you may use the links below to help you through your journey at Mayfield Jr./Sr. High School.
School Counseling Staff
Mrs. Sarah Jones, Counseling Center Secretary, District Registrar
Mrs. Joelle Guerrero, School Counselor
Ms. Taylor VanSlyke, School Counselor
School Counseling Mission Statement
The mission of the Mayfield Jr/Sr High School Counseling Department is to engage all students in a comprehensive school counseling program that empowers all students to achieve their highest potential and to prepare them to function successfully as productive citizens. The school counseling program delivers a comprehensive, data-driven program that helps all students learn regardless of background or individual circumstance. This is to ensure all students gain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary for academic success, career exploration, and social/emotional development becoming valuable members of society.
In collaboration with other educators and community stakeholders, school counselors will advocate for equity, access, and success for every student, encouraging student self-advocacy and accountability and promoting the development of citizenship that embraces excellence of character.
General Services Provided
Our school counselors provide and coordinate the following services:
- Individual student program planning
- Individual short-term counseling and group counseling
- Career and college planning
- Classroom activities
- Peer mediation
- Crisis counseling, response, and referral
- Consultation and collaboration with community agencies
- Program management and evaluation
- Summer school referrals
- Monitor student achievement and help develop strategies for improvement
- Coordinate and promote programs that promote social/personal development
- Connect students to services and programs such as ACCES-VR, Career and Technical Education, & PTECH
- PSAT/AP Test Coordinators
- College in the High School Coordinators